Home > Property Management, Real Estate > 2012-2013 Minnesota Certificate of Rent Paid CRP form and instructions.

2012-2013 Minnesota Certificate of Rent Paid CRP form and instructions.


If you owned an property and rented it out in Minnesota at any time in 2012, you must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid also known as a “CRP” to each adult that paid rent no later than January 31, 2012. To make this process a bit easier, I have provided some content, and links for you. Keep in mind, had you hired Renters Warehouse, the professional landlords, we would have done this for you. Get a free rental analysis or management fee quote at anytime on any property by visiting RentersWarehouse.com.

Instructions and Tips:

  • The 2012 Minnesota Certificate of Rent Paid form (CRP) can be found on the Minnesota Revenue Department website. 
  • Enter your full name as the property owner and your mailing address on the CRP.
  • The CRP form must also include the property tax ID number, the county in which the property is located, and the number of units (single family vs. multi-family. I have provided a link to Hennepin County Tax ID look up tool, If this is not your county, please Google: “(Insert County) Tax ID Lookup”
  • If you employ a property management company to assist you with your property rental, include the management company name and mailing address. Some property management companies will handle the CRP process for you as part of their service to you.
  • Enter the renter name(s) and the address of the property: Are your renters married? Provide only one CRP to the couple. Are your renters unmarried? Provide a CRP to each adult showing that each paid an equal amount of rent, regardless of the amounts they actually paid.
  • Did your renter move out before the end of the year? Calculate your CRP based on the actual number of months the tenant was in the property in 2012.
  • Mail it to their forwarding address collected at the time they moved out or mail it to the last known address (your rental property address) with the expectation it will be forwarded. Keep a copy for that tenant on file until August 15 of 2014.
  • Did you purchase or sell the property sometime within the year? Calculate your CRP based on the number of months the renter paid when you actually owned the home.

Calculating the CRP:


  • Calculate the total rent paid for the year and enter into Line 1 of the CRP. The rent paid to you should include the amount for the unit (home) along with storage space and additional garage space, if applicable. Do not include rent amounts paid by a government agency as a subsidy, the security deposit amount, late charges, delinquent rent or rent for farmland use.
  • The allowance for 2012 is 17%. Multiply the total rent paid by 17% (.17) and enter the amount on Line 3. This is the amount the renter will input into their Minnesota form M1PR when they file for their “property tax refund”. Here is a link to the 2012 M1PR property tax refund form you can pass along to the tenant. 
  • Sign the form and keep a copy on file with the tenant’s lease.
  • The official instructions for the Minnesota Department of Revenue Certifcate of Rent Paid form can be found here: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/prop_tax_refund/Pages/Certificate_of_Rent_Paid_(CRP)_Information_for_Landlords.aspx

This post was created by Brenton Hayden, CEO of Renters WarehouseMinnesota largest professional landlord.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: